Job Title: Technical Director
Date Prepared: March 3, 2017
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
The Technical Director position is responsible for the technical operation of the Pompano Beach Amphitheatre and Cultural Center, including the operation of in-house lighting, sound and A/V equipment, interfacing tour and rental equipment with building systems and coordinating necessary maintenance.
This position will begin as a part-time, event-based position with the opportunity to transition into a full-time position with benefits based on employee performance review.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Operate, maintain and safeguard the technical assets of the Cultural Center and Amphitheater, including supervising the use of lighting, sound, A/V and communications equipment, and the use and maintenance of stage facilities.
- Meet and/or conduct walk-throughs with potential clients to determine technical needs for their events and create estimates of technical labor and equipment costs based on this information.
- Determine the necessary technical supports, such as lighting, sound, staging, A/V and special needs necessary for events and performances presented at the facility in advance of production dates – either from technical riders, in-person meetings, phone calls or email.
- Assist in recruiting, training, assignment and supervision of volunteer or paid technical staff for individual shows.
- Orient facility renters and visiting productions to safety, technical characteristics and other areas of facility operations; facilitate the use of the technical facilities by the resident companies and others engaged by or renting the facility.
- Monitor the condition of equipment including lighting, sound, and rigging equipment; arrange for the repair and replacement within budgetary constraints; perform preventive maintenance on equipment.
- Assist with the preparation and control of production budgets; maintain inventory and order specialized supplies.
- Interact with resident companies, renters and self-presented event promoters in a helpful and friendly manner that represents the Creatives in a positive way at all times.
Reports to: General Manager, Amphitheater and Cultural Center
Skills and Abilities Required
- Maintain irregular and extended working hours, including nights and weekends.
- Ability to lift, push or pull objects up to 100 pounds using appropriate tools.
- People and time management skills.
- Understanding of all aspects involved in theatre (construction, lighting equipment, rigging, sound and A/V).
- Excellent oral comprehension and expression.
- Physically fit to kneel, crouch, reach and exert.
- Familiarity with a variety of control consoles, including ETC lighting consoles and Yamaha digital audio consoles.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, Vectorworks or similar platforms.
Education and Experience Required
- Bachelor’s Degree in technical theater preferred.
- 5+ years’ experience working as a Technical Director or Supervisor in a performing arts venue.
- Experience advancing professional shows from a technical rider.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
A review of this position has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbent(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.
Send Resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org